Fall in Ottawa is a time for residents and visitors alike to fall in love with Canada’s Capital. Experiencing the crisp, cool temperatures, enjoying the spectacular foliage transformation, fall festivals and of course supporting and enjoying the many fundraisers that are happening in this community.
I am looking forward to attending some Gala’s and events in the upcoming weeks. What I wore, will be featured in future #OOTD posts. Today’s outfit of the day was styled for a fundraiser at a local restaurant. This ensemble would be appropriate for a dress code that stipulates Smart Casual or Business … I happen to think it would also work for a Friday date night….with my hubby of course!
What to wear to these Gala’s is a frequent question I am asked. Some of these events have a specified dress code while others do not, which can lead to confusion on what to wear. Generally speaking many of these events “dress” fall into one of these categories
- Business Casual- Typically what most people would wear to work
- Smart Casual- or Dressy casual is a combination of casual, business casual and business dress codes where you combine them to make a smart casual ensemble(my favorite since it allows creativity)
- Business/ Informal- the most formal level of business, therefore a matched suit (with tie), for some events a sports jacket, shirt & tie with complimentary trousers is appropriate for him. For her a matched trouser/skirt suit or dress
- Semi Formal- for him a matched suit (tie) generally in a darker hue such as navy or charcoal. For her a cocktail dress, trousers such as palazzo style with dressy top etc
- Formal- for him a tuxedo and for her a formal dress traditionally long. Most invitations specify Black tie, White Tie, Creative Balck tie. If the event is an annual event and you are uncertain what to wear, try googling the previous year’s event for pictures of attendees to get a sense of what was worn.
Prior to any event, it is important to take the time to plan your attire. Try it on, accessorize (jewelry, hosiery (get extra), shoes, hand-evening bag, outer layer , ensure the garments are ready to wear (clean, pressed, functioning (ie: buttons zippers) and then take a selfie so you can see what you will look like and to ensure you are projecting the right image!
Black Leather leggings here
Ankle Boots here